The Congregational Churchs Deacon Thomas Clark
(1690-1767) was adopted as a young child by his uncle,
Timothy Stanley, one of Waterburys first settlers,
who had no children of his own. Clark learned his uncles
trade as a cloth weaver and managed the family farm. He
was also a storekeeper and served as Town Clerk and Treasurer.
He inherited his uncles home on the south side of
the Green, and occasionally took in boarders and fed soldiers
passing through town. Clarks store sold items such
as pepper, salt, wine, almanacs, cloth, rum and tobacco.
He bought supplies for his store from Derby and New Haven.
According to Henry Bronsons History of Waterbury,
published in 1858, Clark may have been Waterbury's first
slave owner. He brought a boy named Mingo to Waterbury
sometime around 1730. Mingo helped work Clarks farm
and was at times hired out to other Waterbury residents.
Clarks three sons and four daughters were also hired
out to work in other households.
Clarks son Thomas (1738-1779) inherited the home
on the Green, which he operated as a tavern until his
death. Following Deacon Clarks death in 1767, Mingo
had chosen to remain in the family home, but when it became
a tavern, he moved to the Town Plot section of Waterbury,
to live with the Deacons other son, Timothy (1732-1824).
By the time the 1790 census was taken, Mingo was a free
man living in the Clark household. He may have been given
his freedom after Deacon Clark died. Mingo was a member
of the First Congregational church in 1795 and died in
Map depicting the early village that later became Waterbury.
Deacon Thomas Clark inherited the home of his uncle, Timothy
Stanley. Illustrated in Henry Bronson, The History
of Waterbury, Connecticut, published in 1858.